Founded in 2007, ABH Services PLC (also called ABH Partners by trade name) is a leading consultancy and human resources sourcing management firm in Ethiopia with over eleven years of experience in supporting the implementation of development programs and projects. ABH exists to fuel synergistic societal growth by harnessing local knowledge and international standard. Dedicated to the betterment of societal development, technical assistance, and knowledge management, ABH has gained credibility and industry experience in the development sector in general and the public health sphere of Ethiopia in particular. ABH focuses on knowledge management as the enabler and cross-cutting theme across its four major service lines or core competencies: Consultancy, Survey Management, Training, and Implementation of projects and programs.
Job ID: ABH-028-NEBE
The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE), re-established by proclamation No. 1133/2011, is the constitutionally mandated body to conduct elections, organize referendum and regulate political parties in Ethiopia. NEBE is undergoing institutional reform to enhance its credibility and capacity and conduct free, impartial, and credible elections. Through the support of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), NEBE has contracted ABH Partners to provide human resource recruitment and management services.
Accordingly, ABH partners would like to invite applicants who meet the below requirements to apply for the position of Election Operations Manager.
Required number: One
Reports to: Chair Person
Duty station: NEBE Head Quarter, Addis Ababa
Duration: 12 months with a possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: Immediately after concluding the contract
Purpose of the Role
The NEBE Election Operations Manager is responsible for maintaining and establishing NEBE’s election operations vision and leading all aspects of the department. As head of the department, he/she plays an integral role in NEBE’s strategic direction, development, and future growth. Responsibilities will include amongst other day to day team management tasks, the leading, managing and guiding of all election operations strategies and also play advisory role on related matters.
- Manages staff and oversees responsibilities throughout the elections cycle, including voter registration and election day;
- Coordinates and assists with the conduct of various elections (general, local elections), including recruitment and deployment of polling staff;
- Take the lead on providing inputs on operational aspects of the electoral regulations and proposals for review of operational aspects of electoral legislation;
- Ensure compliance with elections laws, directives, and procedures;
- Take the lead on establishment of operational component and field structure of NEBE;
- Take the lead on providing all needed inputs for creation of operational budget and tendering processes for electoral materials;
- Conduct and/ or participate on post-election review;
- Plan, organize, and coordinate changes to the policies, procedures, or processes related to elections operations;
- Lead and support the collection of information on a wide range of issues related to elections operation;
- Prepare election calendar and election operation plan and submit to concerned body for approval;
- Coordinate the identification of polling stations and regions and also make change to such identifications as required;
- Maintain a system of continuous evaluation of electoral operations and capacity building activities;
- Based on NEBE’s mission and strategy, responsible for preparing departmental plan, monitor and evaluate implementation and prepare report for concerned bodies
- Communicate NEBE’s vision, mission, and strategic objectives to the staff;
- Responsible to review the performance of employees on timely manner and take appropriate improvement actions as deemed necessary;
- Lead and monitor the implementation of departmental activities and take remedial actions as deemed necessary on timely manner;
- Supervises office/operations employees and temporary staff including coordination of schedules, assigning and reviewing work, performance evaluation, and professional development.
- Closely collaborate with the CEO office to create strategic plans, manage budget, problem solve, and achieve established goals of the operations team
- Participates in relevant working groups/committees
- Provide guidance, recommendations, and advice to supervisors
- Write and edit reports and presentations and presents findings and recommendations to supervisors.
- In order to meet NEBE’s legal mandate, assess the human resource need for the department, submit request to concerned authority for approval and ensure timely staffing;
- Conduct staff capacity need assessment, prepare appropriate intervention strategy and facilitate trainings;
- Ensures departmental activities are implemented timely with the expected quality;
- Perform other tasks assigned by supervisor.
Required qualifications, Competencies & Skills trainings and experience
- MA/MBA/BA in Project Management, Management, Business Administration, Economics, Law, Public Administration, Civics, and related fields
- For MA/MBA holders: at least 8 years of relevant experience of which 4 years on leadership position
- For BA holders: at least 10 years of relevant experience of which 6 years on leadership position focused on operations management; elections experience preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques relating to the functional area of business operation
- Ability to write detailed, accurate reports, or solicitations for pertinent areas of operations
- A Ability to manage staff and work with senior management
- Ability to lead assigned employees, including delegating and reviewing work assignments, providing coaching and guidance, monitoring and evaluating performance, and supporting training and development planning
- Ability to use word processing and presentation software to prepare documents, and to use spreadsheet and statistical analysis software packages to store, manipulate, analyze and present data
- Ability to establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment and utilize initiative to direct own and others' activities.
- Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Not be a member of any political party
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness
- Conduct self with integrity and function ethically
How to Apply
Qualified applicants can submit their application letter along with an updated CV with three professional references, copies of education credentials and work experience via email to email@example.com by stating the position you are applying on the subject email. Application may also be submitted in person to our office located on Bole Road, behind DH Geda Tower Addis Ababa from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday and Half day on Saturdays.
Application Deadline: October 23, 2020
Qualified candidates who fulfil the criteria will be hired only following the approval and endorsement by NEBE.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.