Founded in 2007, ABH Services PLC (also called ABH Partners by trade name) is a leading consultancy and human resources sourcing management firm in Ethiopia with over eleven years of experience in supporting the implementation of development programs and projects. ABH exists to fuel synergistic societal growth by harnessing local knowledge and international standard. Dedicated to the betterment of societal development, technical assistance, and knowledge management, ABH has gained credibility and industry experience in the development sector in general and the public health sphere of Ethiopia in particular. ABH focuses on knowledge management as the enabler and cross-cutting theme across its four major service lines or core competencies: Consultancy, Survey Management, Training, and Implementation of projects and programs.
Job ID: ABH-025-NEBE
The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE), re-established by proclamation No. 1133/2011, is the constitutionally mandated body to conduct elections, organize referendum and regulate political parties in Ethiopia. NEBE is undergoing institutional reform to enhance its credibility and capacity and conduct free, impartial and credible elections. Through the support of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), NEBE has contracted ABH Partners to provide human resource recruitment and management services.
Accordingly, ABH partners would like to invite applicants who meet the below requirements to apply for the position of Translator/(Interpreter).
Required number: 1
Reports to: NEBE Board Member
Duty station: NEBE Head Quarter, Addis Ababa
Duration: 12 months with a possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: Immediately after concluding the contract
Purpose of the Role
Under the overall guidance of the NEBE Board Members the translator will support NEBE with translating internal and external documents from Amharic to Somali language.
- Translate documents, including legal drafts and knowledge products from Amharic to Somali;
- Receive briefing or prepares through reading and study on subject to be discussed prior to interpreting session;
- Compile information, such as technical terms used in legal settings, into glossaries and terminology databases to be used in translations;
- Check translation of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions;
- Proofread, edit, and revise translated materials;
- Read written materials such as legal documents, scientific works, or news reports, and rewrite material into specified languages;
- Relay the style and tone of the original language;
- Refer to reference materials such as dictionaries, lexicons, encyclopaedias, and computerized terminology banks as needed to ensure translation accuracy.
- Identify and reconcile conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices, or behaviours;
- Provide translation of: modifications/changes/comments made by international advisors or national, consultants/counterparts in various reports, legislation, advocacy and information materials, documents of meetings, of the Project Steering Committee and Technical Working Group, correspondence to the government, national/international counterparts, and vice versa;
- Provide simultaneous/consecutive interpretation services during: steering committee meetings, technical working group meetings, conferences, official missions, workshops, meetings between the international advisors and national consultants, as well as national counterparts;
- Perform other tasks assigned by supervisor.
Required qualifications, Competencies & Skills trainings and experience
- BA in Linguistics, Communications and Journalism, Somali Literature, and related fields.
- Four years of proven translation experience
- Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to write, speak, listen and reading Somali language is mandatory
- Excellent interpersonal skills, technical writing skills
- Good sense of time management and IT skills
- Ability to adapt quickly to new work environments, to establish and maintain good working relations with individuals of different backgrounds, and to work under pressure;
- Proficient in word processing and internet technology.
- Not be a member of any political party
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality
- Must value operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness
- Conduct self with integrity and function ethically
- The ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines
How to Apply
Qualified applicants can submit their application letter along with an updated CV with three professional references, copies of education credentials and work experience via email to email@example.com by stating the position you are applying on the subject email. Application may also be submitted in person to our office located on Bole Road, behind DH Geda Tower Addis Ababa from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday and Half day on Saturdays.
Application Deadline: October 23, 2020
Qualified candidates who fulfil the criteria will be hired only following the approval and endorsement by NEBE.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.